I decided to branch out with my latest brew and try another experimental batch. I’ve wanted to make a rye for a while now, so I did some research and formulated my own recipe (partially dictated by what I and the local brew shop had in stock). My last batch was an Oatmeal Coffee Stout which is still aging, but my last-minute experimental addition of the coffee in that recipe was what really prompted me to create this one.
I’m aiming for this to be a hoppy rye with a bite to celebrate both my bitterness at the cold and the (hopefully) upcoming warm weather. The rye flavor should be pulled out more with the addition of caraway seeds (1oz.) and the spiciness upped with some white pepper (.5oz), both added to primary fermentation. This was also my first batch in two and a half years in which I’ve had to make a yeast starter, since the California V I’m using was a little old. This was a partial mash batch, and the grains were mashed in two gallons at 158° for 40min. then sparged with an additional gallon at 172°. I messed up sparging in this batch, so I’m sure the conversion is quite low.
I started using Hopville as of this recipe since I really haven’t had a great experience with BeerTools over the past year. The link will be here until I have a usable recipe format I can post here in the future.